May 14-15, 2017 :: BeijingEdit
The Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation took place in Beijing from May 14-15, 2017. Ambassadors from 29 foreign countries attended. The meeting was intended to create stronger cooperative relationships as well as put forward financial agreements.
Notable Takeaways Edit
- Xi Jinping encouraged globalization
- China's ultimate goal is unclear and is making some countries skeptical about the initiative
- $113 billion in infrastructure infrastructure funding
- open agreement - anyone can join
- India boycotted the forum; warned that the debt will be too high for participating countries
Works Cited Edit
- "China's Xi Says Belt and Road Summit Reaches Consensus, Achieves Positive Outcomes."Reuters. Thomson Reuters, 15 May 2017. Web. 23 May 2017.
- Wong, Catherine. "'Press On' with New Silk Road Flagship Project." South China Morning Post. N.p., 13 May 2017. Web. 23 May 2017.
- Jiangtao, Shi. "Now for the Long Haul along the New Silk Road." South China Morning Post. N.p., 18 May 2017. Web. 23 May 2017.
郭凯. "Belt and Road Forum Agenda Set." Belt and Road Forum Agenda Set. N.p., 18 Apr. 2017. Web. 13 May 2017.